Friday, July 15, 2011

Junia: psst, that Apostle has a mustache


There's been some good blogging on Junia, the ApoStle.  In the picture above, someone's put a mouStache on her.  She'S the one whom the all-male translators of the ESV and other Bibles want to tranSgender into a man.

SometimeS, they make her just well-known to the ApostleS,
not an Apostle among the Apostles herself.

Here's ESV:
Greet Andronicus and Junia [Or JuniaS], my kinsmen and my fellow prisoners. They are well known to the apostles, and they were in Christ before me.
Of course, that's Paul writing to Rome, using Greek, not Latin.  And here's Bible translator Ann Nyland saying a couple of things as she goes back to the Greek sources:

and

Now, here's that good blogging:

  • Faithful in little ...
  • Mike Heiser and Junia 

  • Are complementarians biblical?

  • Junia resurrected

  • Junia, may she live forever

  • Apostles and prophets 

  • Why not choose the ESV for your church

  • Female Apostles or Female Apostates?

  • The Case For Junia, The Lost Apostle

  • Junia - the first female apostle 

    • To/among

      ESV 7 Greet Andronicus and Junia, my kinsmen and my fellow prisoners. They are well known to the apostles, and they were in Christ before me.

      Emmmm, how strange! (Reason number one for not purchasing the ESV for college)

      NIV©Greet Andronicus and Junias, my relatives who have been in prison with me. They are outstanding among the apostles, and they were in Christ before I was.
      NAS©Greet Andronicus and Junias, my kinsmen and my fellow prisoners, who are outstanding among the apostles, who also were in Christ before me.
      ISV©Greet Andronicus and Junias, my fellow Jews who are in prison with me and are prominent among the apostles. They were belonged to the Messiah before I did.
      GWT©Greet Andronicus and Junia, who are Jewish by birth like me. They are prisoners like me and are prominent among the apostles. They also were Christians before I was.
      KJVSalute Andronicus and Junia, my kinsmen, and my fellow-prisoners, who are of note among the apostles, who also were in Christ before me.
      AKJSalute Andronicus and Junia, my kinsmen, and my fellow-prisoners, who are of note among the apostles, who also were in Christ before me.
      ASVSalute Andronicus and Junias, my kinsmen, and my fellow-prisoners, who are of note among the apostles, who also have been in Christ before me.
      BBEGive my love to Andronicus and Junia, my relations, who were in prison with me, who are noted among the Apostles, and who were in Christ before me.
      DRBSalute Andronicus and Junias, my kinsmen and fellow prisoners: who are of note among the apostles, who also were in Christ before me.
      DBYSalute Andronicus and Junias, my kinsmen and fellow-captives, who are of note among the apostles; who were also in Christ before me.
      ERVSalute Andronicus and Junias, my kinsmen, and my fellow-prisoners, who are of note among the apostles, who also have been in Christ before me.
      WBSSalute Andronicus and Junia my kinsmen, and my fellow-prisoners, who are of note among the apostles, who also were in Christ before me.
      WEYand to Andronicus and Junia, my countrymen, who once shared my imprisonment. They are of note among the Apostles, and are Christians of longer standing than myself.
      WEBGreet Andronicus and Junia, my relatives and my fellow prisoners, who are notable among the apostles, who also were in Christ before me.
      YLT salute Andronicus and Junias, my kindred, and my fellow-captives, who are of note among the apostles, who also have been in C

2 comments:

Donald Johnson said...

There are 3 basic ways that masculinists use to deny the plain meaning of the text on Junia.
1. Invent a male name Junias so it is a male.
2. Admit that it is Junia, but she is merely well known TO the apostles. This is what the ESV does.
3. Claim that apostolos does not mean apostle, but merely a messenger.

The masculinists want to insist on wearing blue lenses and they do not seem to want to let anyone else try to stop them from doing so. But there blue lenses are showing in this translation.

J. K. Gayle said...

Don,
Your summary of what masculinists are hoping to do, and how they operate on Junia, is very helpful! Thanks!