Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Would You Have Acted on July 20th? Will You?

"On Thursday, July 20, 1848, at the morning session on the second day of the First Women's Rights Convention, sixty-eight women signed the Declaration of Sentiments under the heading, 'Firmly relying upon the final triumph of the Right and the True, we do this day affix our signatures to this declaration.' 

Thirty-two men signed the Declaration of Sentiments under the heading '...the gentlemen present in favor of this new movement.'"
   -- from nps.gov, "Signers of the Declaration of Sentiments"

It was not until 1920 that the United States of America allowed its women to vote.  "More than 150 years later," Kristen reminds us yesterday, "and we are still fighting" for equality of women with men.

"Today is 20 July, an important day for us personally, but a more important day in history.  This was the day in 1944 when a group of army officers decided it was time to act against Hitler."
   -- from Jane, "A passing thought on the 20th July"
 
It was not until the next year that Adolf Hitler was no longer the dictator of one of the most brutal regimes in history.  But neo-nazi racism is not dead yet.
 
Here is a list of the 68 women and 32 men who publicly acted and signed The Declaration of Sentiments:

http://www.nps.gov/wori/historyculture/signers-of-the-declaration-of-sentiments.htm 

Here is a list of the 3 women and 184 men who secretly acted and attempted to overthrow Hitler:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_members_of_the_20_July_plot


Would you have been as brave as these women and men on July 20th?  Will you be?  Can you act against discriminations against women?  Can you oppose sexisms around you?  Can you fight racists and racisms?

2 comments:

JR said...

I’m guessing.

I’m seduced by Marlene Dietrich. Before I join her cause.

Okay. I’ll join – “If there is a God, he needs to revise his plan” (Dietrich).

Yeah. So I lied. I’m seduced. And joined.

So much revising to do. So little time.

“I'm worth more dead than alive. Don't cry for me after I'm gone; cry for me now” (Dietrich).

Now boy-Dietrich lies (see boy-Dietrich video on my blog). By telling the truth. She knows she’s worth more dead than alive. So we may as well kill voices-femme now. Kill her fluid feminine-masculine. We can appreciate these fluid voices later. Irony too painful. Not irony. Hell.

Why am I crying with her now? Not takin’ it on the chin?

Liar boy-Dietrich is still worth something to me. After she’s gone. I hear her.

Now I’m lying.

Because I really don’t know how to answer Gayle’s questions. Would I? Would I have acted on July 20th, 1848, by joining as one of the thirty-two men signing the Declaration of Sentiments at the First Women's Rights Convention?

Will I join these sentiments? Now?

God let me be – part of – “If there is a God, he needs to revise his plan.”

Or am I a? – “boys will be boys. We cheat and we lie.”

“Most women set out to try to change a man, and when they have changed him they do not like him” (Dietrich).

So I’m keeping my heterosexual narcissism. For her sake.

“There's been girls that have stolen our hearts.”

She’s stolen mine because - “I am at heart a gentleman” (Dietrich).

Goddamn Marlene Dietrich. For being more a gentleman than I’ll ever be.

full text of “Boys will be Boys” and video on the blog”

@ “Boys will be boys .. we cheat and we lie .. boys will be boys .. and .J. K. Gayle asks, "will you .. ?" .. and I say, ‘Goddamn Marlene Dietrich’”

http://randomarrow.blogspot.com/2011/07/boys-will-be-boys-we-cheat-and-we-lie.html

JR said...

“There's been girls that have stolen our hearts.”

Cady Stanton? – Anthony? -- have they stolen mine? Stolen? Given freely?