Thursday, May 7, 2009

Obama on Prayer

Barack Hussein Obama was "overheard" praying a prayer: a written one, in his hand writing in Jerusalem. It goes, ostensibly, like this (as we lurk and eavesdrop on a conversation between a human being and his Creator):

"Lord, protect my family and me. Forgive me my sins and help me guard against pride and despair. Give me the wisdom to do what is right and just. And make me an instrument of your will."

Old news, but it casts a shadow perhaps on the latest public attention to his behavior and words on praying. On this Official United States of America Day of Prayer, the now-President Obama issues, and signs by his hand, this statement:

http://www.whitehouse.gov/the_press_office/Presidential-Proclamation-National-Day-of-Prayer/

". . . As we observe this day of prayer, we remember the one law that binds all great religions together: the Golden Rule, and its call to love one another; to understand one another; and to treat with dignity and respect those with whom we share a brief moment on this Earth. . . . I call upon Americans to pray in thanksgiving for our freedoms and blessings and to ask for God's continued guidance, grace, and protection for this land that we love."

These words remind me of some of my favorite passages in one of the President's favorite books. Blogworthy passages (after time for reflection, and prayer).

No comments: