"Twenty-three years ago, cartoonist Alison Bechdel had one of her female characters cite a simple rule: She'd only go to see a movie if it had:
1. At least two female characters, who ...
2. talk to each other about...
3. something besides a man.
With that said, we asked Deggans and Morales to come up with rules of their own:
The Deggans Rule
(from Eric Deggans, The St. Petersburg Times)
1. At least two nonwhite characters in the main cast ...
2. in a show that's not about race.
The Morales Rule (from Natalie Morales, ABC Family's The Middleman)
1. Nobody calls anybody Papi.
2. No dancing to salsa music.
3. No gratuitous Spanish.
This is fun stuff from NPR. But surely you have your own rules? And surely you'd dare share here?