Sunday, November 9, 2008

Obama's Rhetorical Impact on the French

Jane Stranz reports that Obama's victory even makes French papers write English headlines!

Stranz writes: "For proof that Obama's victory really is already having a profound effect look no further than Réforme which has even had headlines in English on its website this week - A President is born. This is unheard of."

So take a look inside.
HERE'S A SAMPLE OF THE WORDS OF OBAMA IN THE FRENCH NEWSPAPER:

"A Faith in Simple Dreams

When I was a child, I lived overseas for a time with my mother. And one of my earliest memories is of her reading to me the first lines of the Declaration of Independence, explaining how its ideas applied to ever[y] American, black and white and brown alike. She taught me that those words, and the words of the United States Constitution, protected us from the brutal injustices we witnessed other people suffer during those years abroad.

I’ve been reminded of this recently as I’ve followed the brutal injustice surrounding Zimbabwe’s so-called elections. . . ."

[FRENCH UNDER ENGLISH IN THE FRENCH PAPER:]
"Quand j’étais enfant j’ai vécu pendant un temps seul avec ma mère. Et un des mes anciens souvenirs est celui où elle me lisait quelques lignes de la Déclaration d’Indépendance, en m’expliquant comment ses idées s’appliquent à tout Américain , qu’il soit blanc, noir ou métis. Elle m’a dit alors que ces mots, et les mots de la Constitution américaine, nous ont protégé de la brutalité et de l’injustice que les autres peuples ont subis.

Aujourd’hui j’ai vu la récente preuve d’injustice qui a suivi après la soi-disante élection au Zimbabwe. . . ."


No comments: